At the Coalition on Homelessness, we want to elevate any opportunity that allows our unhoused neighbors to receive resources, and benefits they are entitled to!
That’s why we want to let you know about an important announcement from the IRS: over nine million Americans have unclaimed benefits, such as the:
- 2021 stimulus check (Recovery Rebate Credit) – as much as $1,400 for an individual and $1,400 for each additional dependent
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit
The IRS sent this news via mail in late October. As most of us know, those experiencing homelessness may not have shared their current mailing address with the IRS, if they have a mailing address, so they may not have heard this news.
Additionally, people experiencing homelessness who have very low incomes may be unaware of this if they have not filed their taxes for 2021. This is notable because to be eligible for these benefits, you must file your taxes for 2021.
What Do You Need to Do?
If you or your client have not filed their 2021 taxes and want to receive these benefits, please do the following:
- Visit the IRS’s free tax filing website – https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free
- Make sure to use the EITC Assistant to determine if you are eligible for EITC
- Complete filing by November 17th
- Once filed, the IRS will disburse any of these benefits for which you are eligible
Please note that claiming benefits has no effect on your ability to claim other federal benefits such as SSI, SNAP, TANF, and WIC. Claiming these benefits also will have no effect on your immigration status or ability to get a green card or immigration benefits.
Any questions? Email Sara Robbins at The Coalition.