At our last Single Adults Advocacy Committee meeting, we were joined by Sarah
Rothman, Diversity Business Partner with the Northwest Center at Amazon.
The Northwest Center seeks to create a pathway to employment by breaking down barriers, and Sarah works to connect people with disabilities to quality employment through the diversity initiative. Everyone who is referred to the Northwest Center will be offered an interview with Sarah to determine a best fit for them and the potential employer. After interviews, Sarah provides next-step actions for the candidate, including interview and agency feedback.
Employment opportunities through the Northwest Center often involve customer service experience, and include cashier, mailroom, food service, and reception positions, among others. More information on open positions can be found on the Northwest Center’s website.
The Northwest Center and Sarah welcome referrals from service providers. Please reach out to Sarah if you would like more information regarding the initiative programs or to refer a client!
You can reach Sarah at srothman[at]amazon[dot]com.
Thanks again, Sarah!
Member updates from the meeting:
Hayden Bass, Outreach Program Manager with the Seattle Public Library: the Seattle Public Library is seeking to connect their programs with existing community organizations. Email Hayden at hayden[dot]bass[at]spl[dot]org to learn about the Library’s current outreach or to seek expansion with your organization.
Coalition updates from the meeting:
2016 will be a year of case manager trainings:
- If you’re interested in participating in a small workgroup or committee for planning these 3-4 trainings, be on the lookout for applications coming out in the next couple of months.
One Night Count is kicking into gear:
- Learn about the different ways to get involved on our website.
- Area Leads are in the process of contacting past team captains to confirm their participation for 2016 ONC.
- On Tuesday, the City of Seattle Councilmembers voted unanimously to add $2.265 million to the City’s budget as a one-time allocation to address the crisis of homelessness. Thank you for your support and hard work in these efforts!
- Please join us in THANKING all City Councilmembers via e-mail, with SPECIAL THANKS to Nick Licata for shepherding this proposal through the budget process.
Legislative season is coming up:
- Join us at our December 17 General Membership meeting from 9-11am for our 2016 legislative preview.