A message brought to you by our Youth and Young Adults Committee Co-Chairs, Michael and Emily:
Friends! Mark your calendars as the 10th Annual Youth Advocacy Summit – brought to you by the Coalition’s Youth and Young Adults Committee – will be taking place on October 5 and 6, 2015!
Join us at the next YYA Committee meeting to help solidify the planning of the Summit this Tuesday, September 8 from 10AM-11AM at the Capitol Hill Library Branch (425 Harvard Ave E., Seattle, 98102). We will have color Summit flyers available for you to bring back to your agencies! Please be sure to send a representative from your agency to attend.
Agenda for the YYA Committee Meeting
- Agency/Program Updates
- Peer Leaders & Peer Leader Training
- Thursday, October 11AM-4PM at HEYO Youth Space (1161 11th Ave in Capitol Hill)
- Role of Peer Leaders
- Agency Recruitment
- Youth Participant Recruitment & Transportation
- Who is doing recruitment from each agency
- What agencies are sending staff?
- What agencies can help arrange transportation (eg: car pools, bus tickets, etc.)
- Other recruitment strategies?
- Food and Other In-Kind Donations
- What business relationships do we already have that we can utilize?
- What resources do our agencies already have that can be donated?
- Who can spend some time sending out some letters to secure donations?
- Other Roles & Responsibilities
- Day of staff / volunteer support
Start spreading the word about the Summit . . .
Please help in spreading the word by forwarding this email along to interested youth and young adults and community stakeholders and by posting flyers in your respective youth serving agencies! Adult-identified staff members from youth servicing agencies are welcome to join in supporting the event as well—if you are interested in participating, please reach out!
- Who: All former or current homeless or unstably housed youth and young adults (ages 13-26) are invited to attend.
- What: SKCCH Youth Advocacy Summit, a two day advocacy summit providing opportunities for young people to have their voice be heard by city and County elected officials about issues most important to them!
- When: Monday, October 5 and Tuesday, October 6 from 830AM-3PM
- Where: Seattle City Hall
- Stipends are available for all participants who attend both days of the Youth Summit!
- To register: email or call Michael Barnes at 206.957.1665, michaelb[at]lifelong[dot]org
More about the Youth Advocacy Summit . . .
The two day Youth Summit is an opportunity for homeless and at-risk youth and young adults to talk about issues that are most important to them, and to learn and practice advocacy skills. Youth participants learn about how Seattle and King County governments set policies and budgets, identify issues that they care about that are affected by city and County funding priorities, and meet with elected officials to bring youth voice to bear on their decision making.